Saturday 14 November 2015

will and grace

If you have ever talked to me, you will know I would love to be able to fast forward 10 years, just to see where I am, what I'm doing and who I'm with, then come straight back to the here and now. You see I tell myself that this wee fast-forward would give me peace, I'd know where I'm ending up so I wouldn't have to worry about whether to change uni course, or whether I should invest in that person. But as per usual, my ridiculousness is put in check by our good God, who promises me peace that surpasses understanding if I skip 10 years, trust in Him.

Something I have been struggling with since my eyes were opened to God is His will. Many times my best friend and I have discussed the free-will debate. God is sovereign, His will prevails, but we have free will, so whaaaaaaat? Round and round we go in circles. But the thing I would love to share today, is that God's will, will.

For the last few weeks I have been obsessed with working out God's will, I thought that if I could work out His entire will for my life, then I'd be able to write it down and tick off the boxes as I went along. Seriously keads? What kind of Father would actually let their child know everything they were going to do ever and then just leave them to it? Maybe this tick-box thing just always finds its way into my life because of how I was brought up, or maybe because even since Jesus' time we have realized that a check list is easier than relationship... 

'If only I knew God's will, then I could do God's will'. I admit that I have said this phrase, thought this phrase and heard this phrase without thinking much of it, in fact thinking it's a fair statement. While I'm left speculating continually over whether something is God's will for me or not, there is so much of God's will already revealed to us in the Bible.  I think that our duty is first to obey the will that God has already revealed, and not to ponder endlessly on what His hidden will for us might be. I really don't believe our God is a God of 'what if's'.

Then when we are living in line with His revealed will, we'll be able to start seeing the parts of His will that are just for us. 
Romans 12:1-2 says this: 
'Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.  

We have to offer ourselves up first and then God's will becomes clear. It's not like a job description and you can have God's will if the times and places suit you. It's more like once you truly say 'Here I am God, send me' then He'll start showing you the job description.

Something lovely to end on is that sometimes we know what God wants us to do, maybe it's obvious, maybe you've been avoiding it for a week, or even a year, I just want to encourage you in telling you that for these times there is grace. And I would urge you that if you know what God wants for you, do it, because in obedience there is blessing
John 13:17 says this:
'Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them'



No comments:

Post a Comment